We've updated our policy for accepting self-published/small press consignment titles as of February 2023.
Thank you for being here! Without support from local authors and readers, indie bookstores like us wouldn’t exist. We’re delighted you’re interested in us carrying your book, and we congratulate you on your accomplishment. That said, please read our consignment policy in full before submitting a consignment form.
Union Ave Books curates a special selection of titles meant to educate, empower, and enrich the lives of readers in our community. We value our relationship with authors–established and emerging–and view consignment as an opportunity to support new voices and good writing. We are especially interested in uplifting historically marginalized voices. The publishing industry has a long way to go in terms of diversity and we are committed to championing underrepresented communities.
We strongly encourage you to familiarize yourself with IBPA's Standard Checklist for a Professionally Published Book here.
Book submission stipulations:
- We can only accept books on consignment from local authors. Because our space is limited, our policy requires for children's book consignment authors to be within a 100-mile radius (although we'll sometimes step outside of this if we feel strongly about a book!)
- We can only stock two copies if your book is accepted.
- If your book is out of stock, you must bring in additional copies to be sold. We will not always alert you when they are sold out, but do feel free to contact us.
- We reserve the right to display consignment books at our discretion. Because of limited shelf space, we can not guarantee that your book will be displayed. We encourage you to direct people to our store to purchase, but you may not manipulate your book's placement on our shelves. PLEASE DO NOT LEAVE COPIES OF YOUR BOOK IN THE STORE UNLESS ASKED. CALL AHEAD ABOUT RESTOCK.
- If your book has not sold in a year’s time, you can come and retrieve your copies.
- Payment: We typically check consignment sales on a quarterly basis (March, June, September, December) and send out payments at that time.
- Our standard consignment split is 60 (you) / 40 (us). You can set the retail price wherever you like.
Thanks for your submission!
Union Ave Books Staff